Thursday, April 16, 2009

A.B. Is thinking Six Flags is in here near future. Roller coasters!!YAY! :-)

My friend, Andy Pearson, star of what is easily the most narcissistic show on computer, ANDYVISION, was complaining about all the people who use ‘Yay!’ in their status messages. Now, I have to admit, this is bugging Andy a bit more than me, but in the spirit of democracy, I’ll discuss it. Andy says he feels women use Yay! more than men, so to find out, I did a quick analysis of Twitter. Out of twenty Yay! statii, fourteen were from women (one of whom was middle-aged) four from men (one in sarcasm) one was from a gender-neutral name, and one from a dog (gender unspecified). So, Andy may have a point there. But in defense of Yay!ing women all over, are we not raised to think that the cheerleader is sexually superior to the soccer player? And what is the cheerleader’s mantra? Yep, Yay! Furthermore, are women not brought up to be cute? Cute pink rooms, cute dresses, cute lambs and duckies and dollies (wearing cute pink dresses with lambs and duckies). All of this leads to a cute Yay! encouraged by Mommy and Daddy alike.

Now, I’m all for a change. In many areas. Let’s start with something that’s been bugging me even more than Andy is bothered by Yay!. How come I see so many more men get ahead in advertising over their equally-talented female counterparts? I know what you’re thinking, I’m hopping on some feminist bandwagon here. But, okay, let me hop for a second. I know four fucking unbelievable female copywriters who are out of work right now. Their equally or lesser talented male counterparts are all working. Why is this? Because it’s socially more acceptable for men to be funny, and advertising is a funny business. Most women do not have a Don Draper advocate on their side to advance their careers. In fact, I bet if we looked at Andy’s company, we’d find that the majority of the creatives are male. Men like the company of men for tossing around jokes about pussy and scrotum. However, the women I know are equally raunchy. But, there’s something a little jarring about a woman who says things like, “was your momma hot when your head was popping out of her vag?“ Yet, perfectly understandable for a man to push the envelope in this way. Of course, the two years both sexes spend in ad school tends to level the playing field. Women get verbally dirtier, men get more accustomed to it. But I think there’s still a barrier to entry out there in the creative field for women. Something that whispers that a woman is good, but not quite as good as a man.

Then, there’s the whole way women get confused about using their sexuality instead of their talent. I hate to see a really good female creative sleep with someone because she thinks that’s getting her ahead in the game. It doesn’t. It creates a bad reputation no matter how many people are not talking. Sleep with someone because you mean it and want it. Not because you think that person is going to help you get a job.

Hedonism is tired now. Yay.

1 comment:

Annie Johnston said...

I'm forwarding this comment to my mom, who still yells at me about cussing because she's afraid I'll let it slip out "somewhere important", like my future job or in front of my boss. And I am going to use it as an excuse in a year from now when no one will hire me. :P YAY!!!!! :):)